Mobile Cranes- Pyrolysis / Fires and Exploding Tyres
CICA (Crane Industry Council of Australia) Vic / Tas Branch has released a Crane Safety Bulletin # 235 June 2018 in regards to concerns relating to Tyre Fires, Pyrolysis and Explosions.
Many are aware of Tyre Pyrolysis, its causes and how a robust Tyre Monitoring Systems can prevent / predicting such potential events.
Other than external effects (eg lightening strike), the most common causes for Over- Temperature of Tyres are:
- A combination of exceeded tyre specifications- Speed / Load.
- Under- Pressurisation.
- Over use and / or locked Brakes.
- A combination of the above.
Amoungst other warnings / tyre condition monitoring, a qualified and robust Tyre Monitoring System can provide alarms and notification of Tyre:
- Over Pressure +25% over Set- point.
- Over Temperature- >80 DegC.
CICA refers to Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM) which released their updated "Recognised Standard 13 Tyre, Wheel and Rim Management- November 2016".
In addition, the Department of Mines & Petroleum also released their new Tyre Safety Guidelines- Tyre Monitoring Systems 10-Sep-15.
Both of these Standards / Guidelines advocate the use of Tyre Monitoring Systems to monitor Tyre Pyrolysis (Fires, etc).
For more information, please see our:
- Fleet Safety Management Telemetry Web Based System that will ensure compliance and capture such events.
- Please contact us.